Thursday, May 14, 2009

CAUGHT TAG-ULAN SA TAG-ARAW ON GPC




You're probably not expecting this entry on this blog.

But for those who truly knows me in person, I would not pass a chance to write a piece on Philippine Movies, especially, if it concerns one of my favorite actresses of all time--Vilma Santos, now governor of Batangas and if projections and insinuations are correct, she could provide the biggest competition for the vice presidential race come 2010.

But this is not about Vilma, the politician. This is about Vilma, the actress.

I was in the middle of completing a power point presentation for an upcoming lecture engagement when I suddenly felt this dizzy. It was almost 8 in the evening and I realized I have not eaten lunch. Yes lunch. Just cups of coffee, lots of them.

But I did not proceed to eat at once. That would usually make me sick. I will rest my back first and give some more time before I take something solid.

So what I did was to shut down my computer in my office at home, went to get a glass of water and drank it, a full glass just to keep my stomach filled with liquid. Then I proceeded down to our basement bedroom to lie down besides my husband who was already asleep when I took the space besides him. He's not feeling well. After the afternoon's church service, he felt nauseated and announced he would take a rest and sleep.

The TV was open, he was watching the newscast when he dozed off to sleep. I took the liberty of taking over the TV's remote control and began to channel surf.

My intention really was to go straight to HBO to catch the movie feature of the hour. But on the way to Channel 38 of Destiny Cable, I passed by Global Pinoy Channel, GPC, that cable channel that shows old Filipino movies, mostly in black and white. I saw that scene, Vilma Santos crying but still, I went straight to HBO. But in just seconds, I went two channels down, and gave in to the allure of that scene I saw, Vilma Santos crying.

Then the next scene was -- someone was trying to open the door, locked from the inside, it was Vilma's room and all the viewer could see was just half of the body of the one trying to open the door. Then suddenly, the man decided to abandon the door. Close up of Vilma's face, with bruises and scars, still crying.

Then she heard a noise coming from the window and she rushed to open the door towards the room's terrace and there she saw, Christopher de Leon climbing up and looking at her lovingly, a moment of unspoken words between them passed by, then Christopher climbed some more and the two embraced. It was only then that I learned about the names of Vilma and Christopher's character: Nanette and Rod.

The two are desperately in love, it was clear from that scene that I caught, not realizing, it was almost near the end of the film.

I caught this lines uttered by Nanette, Vilma's character: " Kuya Rod…ayokong magsisi ka…nasasaktan ako…basta’t mahal kita, mahal na mahal kita, basta’t mahal mo ako, hindi tayo dapat magsisi, hindi tayo dapat mahiya!”

So young, so in love, loves knows no age boundaries right, but in their case, it's not just about boundaries. It was about something that was taboo then and still is now in the Philippines and in most societies.
Nanette and Rod are first degree cousins!

Vilma's father in the film was Eddie Garcia and her mother, one of the great actresses we have, Lorli Villanueva. The role of Christopher's parents were essayed by the great Joonee Gamboa and Odette Khan. In the brief scenes that I saw them, they were remarkable.

The confrontation scene between brothers played by Eddie and Joonee is a must see.

Eddie said, "Ang ginawang kalapastanganan ng anak mo ay hindi katulad ng mainit na salabat na puwede mong ibuga kapag napasok ka."

Then Joonee said, "Kung nabubuhay ang ating mga magulang, hindi ganyan ang magiging desisyon nila. Tayo'y magkapatid."

Then Eddie countered, "Isinaalang-alang ba ng anak mo ang relasyon niya sa anak ko? Mula ngayon, kalilimutan kong tayo ay magkapatid."

Then came that long scene, where Christopher ran as fast as he could to get to Vilma and to save their baby she's carrying in her womb. Eddie, was determined to have the baby aborted to save his family from total shame, he said.

Vilma was crying, hysterically crying, tried so hard to free herself as she was dragged downstairs unto the waiting car. Then at their gate, there was Christopher's character Rod. "Kuya Rod, kuya Rod!!!" Vilma's character Nanette shouted.

And from there began the long chase and that unforgettable scene where you see Christopher's character with bandage on his head, desperately hanging at the back of the car with plate number GF-771, kissing the glass, touching it, with Vilma's character still shouting "Kuya Rod" and trying just as desperate to kiss and touch the same mirror.

Then finally, Eddie's driving maneuvers separated the ill-fated lovers as Christopher was thrown into the street and Vilma, still inside the car, drove towards that direction where it's almost certain, not only her heart but her spirits will be crashed as well. That scene was never shown. It was implied as the car moved ahead and faded in the scene.

While Christopher's character continued to run and run and run and run like a mad mad. Crying shamelessly, not giving up, a scene that implies, that probably, the lovers, doomed as they are, will soon find a way to be in each others' arms.

I could not wait to see the credits. I love the theme song! It was very Pinoy, the kind that touches your soul, the kind that moves, the kind that tells a story of true human emotions.

Then the credits roll---it was the movie Tag-Ulan sa Tag-Araw, one of Celso Ad Castillo's masterpieces, the first team-up of Vilma and Christopher, the year 1975, a year when I was just 5 years old. Back in those days, as a young kid, that age I believe or maybe even younger, I posted a picture of Ate Vi in my closet when she was still the image model and endorser of LUX. As I close my eyes, I can still vividly remember her long curly hair in and white gown in that print advertisement for the very famous beauty product then. I kiss that picture of Ate Vi everyday and tell her that I love her and that I am her biggest fan, the youngest and most ardent fan maybe at that time.

Guess what, in my nearly two decades as a reporter, news anchor and host of several radio and TV shows, having interviewed almost everyone who is in the news, even if Ate Vi has already made the successful transition to the world of politics, I still have yet to have a one-on-one interview with her.

I am a Vilma-Christopher fan and it was heartwarming to have finally caught the film that started their beautiful and magical on-screen chemistry.

Where is Director Castillo now, then called the KID if I'm not mistaken and at one point referred to as the Messiah of Philippine Cinema?

To think that it was 1975, under Martial Law, the mark of Bagong Lipunan, very visible in the last portion of the movie, through the LTO sticker "Isang bansa, Isang diwa" one of the slogans of the era of former President Ferdinand Marcos, a movie of this topic, sensitive and very controversial was made is something that is very admirable.

You see this kind of Pinoy classic films and you realize, Filipinos don't make films like they used to before.

The 50s to the 70's and yes---a large portion of the 80's still remain the glorious years of Philippine Cinema.

We have the greatest filmmakers in our midst and all we have to do is find our calling again and make movies that move, touch lives, inspire, influence not just lives but changes we so badly need as a nation.

That day will come again, again, believe, for it is our destiny. (end)

No comments:

Post a Comment