Tuesday, June 23, 2009

BYE PO TITO JULIUS FORTUNA...




Sometime last year, Ding Gagelonia invited me to a get-together with former Vice President Teofisto Guingona in his Quezon City residence days before the launching of his book.

A handful of members of the media were present at that simple get together, among them, veteran journalist Julius Fortuna, whom I address in person as Tito Julius.

In the book of Guingona, a chapter dealt on his time in jail at a military camp under Martial Law. Tito Julius was his prison/block mate according to the former Vice President. It was a delight and an honor at the same time to hear straight from two former political detainees that exceptional common experience they had during Martial Law.

I say exceptional because in those days, to be placed in incarceration because of your political and democratic pursuits and beliefs were indeed marks of great men and women. For a good four hours sometime last year, I was among those who listened with undivided attention and awe with the stories told by both Guingona and Fortuna.

This morning over the radio, a sad breaking news was aired. Tito Julius has passed away due to cardiac arrest at the Capitol Medical Center in Quezon City early this morning.

I called up Ding at once, knowing how close the two are---only to be placed in that uncomfortable position of the bearer of the sad news.

Ding, was apparently not tuned in to the AM radio when I made the call this morning. Quickly, I sensed and felt the sadness in his voice. I regret that I was the one who told him about it. I thought, it would be I who would be getting more information from Ding.

It was Ding and Richard Rivera who influenced Tito Julius to sail on to the world of new media, to be a journalist-blogger in this day and age of citizen and global blogging.

Tito Julius complied and opened his blog-site last January, but with no entry except the ones that were already published on line in the Manila Times where he wrote regular columns on various national and international issues. His column in the Manila Times is called, EAST WEST. The blog he created last January was also called EAST-WEST--ON LINE.

The reason why there's no real new entry in Tito Julius' Blog Site is best explained by the introduction he made in his blog spot.

Here's what he wrote: "It is my pleasure to join the new force in the field of information known as the blogging community. I must confess that I am not that familiar with computers and blogs, hence, I am glad to be inducted into this group, courtesy of my friends Ding Gagelonia and Richard Rivera. Like many of you, I am busy with other affairs. But I shall try to share with you some of my views on political and foreign affairs. We are faced with many issues like charter change and now, the pressure being exerted on the Supreme Court chief justice. But the biggest issue shall be the forthcoming presidential and local elections of 2010. This is all for the moment."

Tito Julius belongs to a generation of journalists who really know how it was to defend Democracy and Freedom of the Press.

Vēnī, vīdī, vīcī -- "I came, I saw, I conquered"---Julius Ceasar (47 BC)said in describing his recent victory over Pharnaces II of Pontus in the Battle of Zela in Zile, a town of Tokat city in contemporary Turkey, a laconic remark that represented the totality of his victory and military prowess.

It was no accident that Tito Julius was named after Julius Ceasar who was a Roman military and political leader who played a critical role in the transformation of the Roman Republic into the Roman Empire.

Journalist from his era contributed much to the rebirth of Press Freedom and Democracy in this part of the world.

In honoring the death of a colleague, one who came, saw and conquered, let us commit to the preservation of our rights to Press Freedom.

Bye Tito Julius---we shall carry on. (end)

1 comment:

  1. Arlyn, may I use your photo for my blogpost in my tribute to JF? frankahilario@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete